Uganda , When the Bush Has Taken its Toll

Guest Vignette by Stephanie Nitshcke Riddell 

She looked so different I didn’t recognize her at first. She no longer had a new weave; bags had developed under her eyes; her clothes were worn and lacking style. Her spark was gone. She had been living in northern Uganda since we met half a year agoShe probably thought I had forgotten her when my eyes did not display immediate recognition. What could have possibly happened to her up there? Maybe it was living in a house full of men? She was a twin, so the separation from her sibling was taxing. Or the distance from her boyfriend? Perhaps it was the harsh realities she faced helping people who had no water? Long work hours? Living without simple luxuries? A little combo? I wouldn’t dare ask because I knew it would be hard to conceal my garish curiosity. My tone would have exposed the honest thought in my mind, “The bush has taken its toll.” 

No comments: